Saturday, July 26, 2008

Jumping on Bandwagons



I jumped on a huge bandwagon this week, and have buckled in securely for a long ride. I was a slow comer to the Harry Potter bandwagon, but once I claimed my seat I found it quite comfortable. I devoured the books, loved the movies, scoured the Internet for theories and postulations, and waited with baited breath for Harry's fate in Book 7. What to do, now that we know? What else can I read obsessively, and ponder endlessly, now that Harry is safely tucked away in his secure future?

Answer: Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series.

If you don't live in a cave, you have already heard of it. If you are a cave-dweller, however, I will tell you the gist and wait for your inevitable blank stare and "huh"? This is how the conversation usually goes.

"It's a vampire love story."
huh?
"well, he's a beautiful, tortured vampire, and she's a perceptive 17 year old human girl."
didn't we do this with Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt?
"but he's a good vampire. he doesn't eat humans. he eats animals. and he loves her... well, he also wants to eat her because her blood sings to him, but he loves her more than he wants to eat her. does that make sense?"
not really

It's a little dicey, this vampire-love thing, but hey, the books are actually quite good. I shamefully read the first book in about 36 hours (yes, I do have 4 children, but school's out....). Book 2 took me longer because I forced myself to take a day off so I could do laundry and sleep without theories and vampire images keeping me awake. My best friend bought them all (after I saved her a seat on the bandwagon and hauled her up there with me.), so I will read Books 3 and 4 next week, after Book 4 is released.

All in all, perhaps I am addicted to long sweeping series that keep me obsessively focused until I've read every drop available. My husband thinks perhaps I am addicted to being addicted. He says I read and devour too quickly and don't let things sink in.

Sink in. Ha Ha.

And you know, after the books are done, there is the movie based on Book 1 being released in December. My addiction will have died down by then, only to be flared up again in preparation for seeing the movie.

Oh, I'm in for a long bandwagon ride this time. But the view is good.


1 comment:

s is for sarah said...

I can't tell you how many books I've devoured this summer while on "maternity leave"! I really want to read this series, heard a lot about it. Did you know the author is Mormon? Little factoid. Oh, and Paul says the same thing about me. I think he would read more if he didn't "absorb" every little thing. :-)